Documented in the Gregorian Cadastre of 1818, the first nucleus of the Casale is described as a house “for dining purposes”, very probably with a portico.Subsequently, in the early 20th century, baroness von Scheyns, the owner of the villa, added an additional structure and external motifs with geometric motifs to echo the Art Nouveau style of the Casino Nobile. The Casale became a real extension of the villa, fondly recalled by monsignor Roncalli as a place where he loved to perform his “spiritual exercises”.
Today, the Casale houses the Quadriennale’s Library Archive. This two-storey building covers a total area of 300 m2. On the ground floor, the main room, divided into three aisles with a cross-vaulted ceiling, is used for the consultation of documents, with computer stations that provide access to the search tools (databases) and multimedia documentation services.