The Library Archive was established in 1998, the year when work began on the reorganization and computerized inventory of the archives. In 2000, the new documentation centre was opened to the public, while the following year the entire archive collection was declared to be of considerable historic interest by the Ministry for Cultural Assets and Activities. The first private archive and library collections began to be donated in 2003.
ArBiQ has its own headquarters, a 19th-century Casale situated within the monumental Villa Carpegna complex. The headquarters house a study room complete with an archive search service.
The Quadriennale’s archive collection is closely connected to its promotion of 20th and 21st-century Italian visual arts, which has been carried out by the institution from the 1930s to our times.
Its archive collections comprise a large nucleus of the Quadriennale’s historic papers (1927–2000) and over thirteen thousand five hundred document files, which are constantly being updated, on artists from the 20th century right up to the new generations. Over recent years, archives on artists, art historians and gallery owners have been donated by private individuals, expanding the collection even further.
An online database is available for search purposes, making it possible to consult all the archive collections inventoried to date.
The Quadriennale’s library specializes in modern and contemporary Italian art. The collection of books is constantly growing and now comprises around forty thousand volumes from the institution’s own collection and the special collections acquired thanks to donations from 2005 onwards.
The Quadriennale’s entire library collection is catalogued and accessible online through the National Library Service (SBN), of which the institution is part through the Cultural Institutes of Rome.